By: Julia DeCecco
Senior, Wissahickon High School
Coordinator, 2014 PCC5000 Thanksgiving Event
Thanksgiving: A day of warmth, family, laughter, hues of red and orange, family football games, and full bellies. A day that everyone looks forward to; one where everyone can come together and appreciate what it means to be family, friends, and simply to be alive. Tables are crammed with delicious home cooked food and family from all across the country, and happiness bubbles over the sounds of clinking glasses, forks scraping plates and joyous laughter. This is the Thanksgiving many grew up with: one that you may not think twice about.
As a volunteer with the service project PCC5000, I have been shown the true meaning of Thanksgiving and the importance of giving back. PCC 5000, a project started by Philadelphia Catering to provide 5000 meals to Philadelphia’s neediest, has forever impacted how I view this holiday. Being the third annual year of this Thanksgiving event, I continue to be struck by the abundant need in our city, and the real impact that PCC can have on the community. Partnering with Bridging the Gap Ministries, each year the hot meal that is delivered to these guests does so much more than fill their stomachs, but inspires though motivational speeches – feeding both body and spirit. Our team of tireless volunteers came together and donated their time to prepare, deliver, and serve during this busy time of year. The event was a success as a result of their efforts, and all who participated realized that we have much to be thankful for.
Returning as volunteer each year I am more inspired by the positive influence this event brings to so many people. Thanks to all of the time and effort put into this event, each year it becomes more significant. PCC 5000 is more than just 5000 meals – it’s reaching out to 5000 people in the most important ways possible, and I am very thankful to be a part of it.
A special Thanks to Dan Pizza of Juxta Prints for donating the T-Shirts for the volunteers of PCC 5000. Dan and Juxta Prints provide all the staff shirts and jackets for the Philadelphia Catering Company. They provide the highest quality printing on apparel at great prices. When we approached Dan ask for a discount he jumped at the chance and did it for free – we can’t thank him enough. Please visit his website and consider working with the next time you need custom printed apparel.
Dan Pizza 267.455.0076 – http://www.juxtaprints.com
Throughout the year we get many calls to help with a multitude of worthy causes. While it is not possible to help in all cases, we do our best to contribute when we can. This year we partnered and contributed to the following events. They are all great causes. Check them out and help out if you can!
- Towers Watson United Way Campaign 2014
- German Shepherd Rescue – Annual Flea Market – GSR-SP.com
- Alzheimer’s Association Delaware Valley Chapter – Walk to End Alzheimer’s – http://www.alz.org/delval/
- Jarell Christopher Seay Love & Laughter Foundation – Annual Toy & Coat Drive –jarellcseaylalf.org
- Alliance for Progress Charter School – The Spirit of Alliance – http://www.afpcs.org/
- Penn’s Way Workplace Charitable Campaign – http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/volumes/v61/n07/penns-way-campaign.html
- Action Aids – Volunteer Appreciation Event – actionaids.org
- The Philadelphia Corporation for the Aging – Philadelphia Meals on Wheels Auction –pcacares.org
- Helping Hands Ministry – Annual Honoree Dinner – hhmvolunteers.webs.com
- PCC 5000 / Bridging the Gap Ministries Thanksgiving meal for the Homeless – https://www.facebook.com/pcc5000